Advances in computer technology and laparoscopic instruments have allowed us to offer a minimally invasive surgical approach to a much broader range of patients.
Minimally invasive surgeries include:
- Hysterectomy (removal of the uterus)
- Oophorectomy (removal of the ovaries)
- Myomectomy (removal of the fibroids)
- Treatment of endometriosis symptoms and pelvic pain
What is laparoscopy?
Laparoscopy is a surgical technique where a small camera, usually between 5 and 10 mm (less than ½ inch), is inserted into a patient’s abdomen for the purpose of the visualization of the pelvic and abdominal anatomy, diagnosis of a disease condition and treatment of such condition by a minimally invasive approach. Several small incisions (less than ¼ inch) are made in the bikini line for the introduction of laparoscopic instruments, such as laparoscopic scissors, scalpel, etc.
Multiple gynecologic procedures and surgeries that are routinely done by an open technique can be potentially done by laparoscopy surgery, including:
- Removal of the uterus (laparoscopic hysterectomy)
- Removal of uterine fibroids (laparoscopic myomectomy)
- Surgical treatment of ovarian cysts (laparoscopic cystectomy)
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Treatment of endometriosis symptoms and pelvic pain (laparoscopic presacral neurectomy)
- Incontinence surgery- bladder sling using Monarch or MiniArc
- Vaginal prolapserepair
- With synthetic mesh
- Without synthetic mesh using biologic mesh (porcine fascia) or traditional sutures
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse repair
To learn more about our minimally invasive surgeries or to schedule an appointment, please call our main office at (404) 255-3633. You can also use our online Request an Appointment form. Our minimally invasive surgery patients come to us from the area of Buckhead in Atlanta, Dunwoody, Roswell, Forsyth, Cumming, North Atlanta, Sandy Springs and Alpharetta in Fulton County, GA.